27 September 2016

Honeybee on tarata

Spring is well under way here in the valley. The blossom on many of the fruit trees is well past its peak, new leaves are expanding on many of the deciduous trees, and this morning I watched a thrush gathering a bill-full of earthworms for its insatiably hungry young. I walked to the gate and, on the way back, stopped by a big tarata (lemonwood; Pittosporum eugenioides). The air was full of the sound of honeybees working the pale yellow-green flowers.

[1/800 sec at f4; ISO 320]



All content © 2016 Pete McGregor

2 comments:

Zhoen said...

Lovely. I'm rather fond of my local bumble bees and carpenter bees.

pohanginapete said...

Zhoen, I have a fondness for bumblebees, too (even the name's whimsically appealing), and although we don't have carpenter bees in New Zealand, I did enjoy seeing them on the Galapagos.