10 July 2016

Muddy pukeko, Foxton Beach

The pukeko prowling about on the mudflats at Foxton Beach last week were habituated to people passing by (here in the valley they're much more wary) and consequently offered reasonable photo opportunities. And, no, this is not a mutant bird: that off-white on the bird's bill and face is dried mud. Judging from the mud-line, I'm guessing it had its eyes closed when it grubbed for that particular tasty morsel.

[1/200 sec at f4; ISO 250]



All content © 2016 Pete McGregor

4 comments:

Zhoen said...

Maybe used it's nictitating membrane? I hope it was yummy.

Looks a very purpose built creature.

pohanginapete said...

Zhoen, I'm sure you're right (and I've sometimes thought a nictitating membrane would be handy, too). Not sure how yummy the morsel was, though: they mostly seemed to be eating roots, which of course were covered with that mud.

Lisa said...

I like this - so very different to the kind of tourist pictures of NZ birds, this is a bird with its feet (and most of the rest of it, it seems) on and in the ground! I was struck, too, my its powerful legs and feet.

pohanginapete said...

Lisa, I agree. I like real birds :-)