15 September 2012

Patē on the No. 1 Line track

For the first time in a month I walked up the No. 1 Line track. Not to the top, mind you: just to the lookout at the top of the steep section, roughly halfway up. After a month of no significant exercise – thanks to the 'flu, the weather, and work – I've decided to regain my fitness gradually rather than wrecking myself trying to do too much too soon.

I enjoyed the walk, and on the way down stopped to prowl around with the camera, mostly looking for textures and patterns. This small Schefflera digitata insisted on being photographed. Note that although the English common name for patē is seven-finger, leaves can have 3–9 leaflets, so when you count eight on this, please don't think I've misidentified it. The finely serrated edges and the texture of the leaflets make this easy to identify [he says, crossing his fingers].

I felt as if I'd arrived home after a long absence.

[Update/Public Service Announcement: New post up on Pohanginapete. A continuation of thoughts and impressions from last year's travelling in South America.]

[14 September 2012, Panasonic Lumix GH1, 14–45 mm at 38 mm, ISO 800, 1/25 at f8]

All content © 2012 Pete McGregor

3 comments:

Zhoen said...

Such a satiny, lush green.

Relatively Retiring said...

Another wonderfully dramatic portrait. I'm glad to know you're recovering and pacing yourself back to fitness.

pohanginapete said...

Zhoen, the older leaves toughen up a bit and often get mottled with sooty moulds. Possibly prettier at this stage.

Thank you, RR. Biked up the valley today and raced the rain back; a good workout and I didn't feel too exhausted.