15 January 2012

Dawn in the fjords of Chile


The berths on the Evangelista were only slightly larger than coffins, yet I slept wonderfully every night. Perhaps that was why I was also up early each day, sometimes before sunrise, so I got to see the first light, then the first sunlight striking the mountains, the islands. For the first day and a half from Puerto Natales we sailed through an almost incomprehensibly complex landscape of islands, and I couldn't help wondering when anyone last set foot on some of these places.


[6 December 2011, Panasonic Lumix GH1, 14–45 mm at 14 mm, ISO 100, 1/20 at f11]

All content © 2012 Pete McGregor

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

That is almost unbelievably beautiful. Thank you.

Zhoen said...

Such color, oh, my.

Sleep of the dead? Or just the sleep of the just?

pohanginapete said...

Thanks, Elephant's Child.

Zhoen — sleep of the happy.

Ruahines said...

Kia ora Pete,
Ataahua! There is something quieter and maybe more promising in the early morning light for me than the equally beautiful but different light of an early evening. Like this moment in your photo.
Cheers,
Robb

pohanginapete said...

Robb, dawn and dusk definitely have different characters. Dawn usually seems quieter to me, too, but perhaps that's because so few people are up and about very early in the morning.