23 June 2011

Indian rhinoceros, Chitwan National Park


Having turned around partway across the Rapti river when the guides in the canoe-load of tourists began shouting and waving, the rhinoceros trotted back to the bank. We'd climbed onto a fallen tree so were at no risk; instead, I found the proximity to this enormous, seemingly ancient monster enthralling.

It trotted back up the steep path onto the terrace overlooking the river and moved out of sight. We never saw it again but I'll always remember it.


[22 March 2007, Canon 20D, 300 mm f4 L IS, ISO 400, 1/640 at f5.6] 

All content © 2011 Pete McGregor

6 comments:

Relatively Retiring said...

What a wonderful expression, and how very tempting to be anthropomorphic. Who could ever forget a sight like that?

Lesley said...

Had he come down from the Altogether Uninhabited Interior again, to see if the Parsee had baked another cake?

He looks quite different from the White Rhino.

Anonymous said...

Such a spectacular animal. And what an incredibly gorgeous photograph. The textures are fantastic. I can almost sense what it might feel like to run my hand along the rhino's shoulder.

Dave said...

Wow!

Zhoen said...

Another ancient looking creature. I hear it's hippos that are more dangerous, though.

pohanginapete said...

RR, the temptation's almost impossible to resist. Strange, old animals.

Lesley, I'd forgotten the Just-So Stories! Thanks for reminding me. Mmm... cake.

Robin, I imagine that hide would feel very un-animal-like. I also imagine very few people have had the privilege of touching it (maybe only zoo keepers and a handful of researchers?)

Dave, thanks. Another one coming up this evening.

Zhoen, I believe so, partly because hippos are so much more abundant, but also because of their habits and proximity to people. While I never felt nervous about this rhinoceros, I'd have felt very apprehensive if I'd been in a similar situation in Africa, with hippos sharing the river with our canoe.