14 October 2008

Fenris-wolf

Hounds in morning mist
Fenrir (often called Fenris-wolf in English), will devour Odin at Ragnarok but will then be killed by Odin's son, Vidar. Although now fettered by a thin chain made by the dwarfs from six things including the sound of a cat's footfall and the roots of a mountain (things which now no longer exist because of this use), Fenrir still hunts in the nightmares of men and women. At dawn I managed to photograph him returning through the mist to his mythology, close on the heels of Amarok.

All content © 2008 Pete McGregor

3 comments:

Avus said...

You and Tolkien would have got on like a house on fire, Pete!

pohanginapete said...

I know plenty of places around here that would have inspired him, Avus. Plenty of places straight from Middle Earth — and I knew those places before the films imposed their imagery.

Avus said...

Yes - I know exactly what you mean. One of my most treasured experiences was to wade through the streams and climb to the top of Mount Sunday, South Island ("Edoras" in LOTR). The sweep of snow capped mountains in that great glaciated valley had me sitting enthralled for 2 hours.