09 May 2014

Thysanoplusia orichalcea: the 'Slender burnished brass'


I hadn't seen one of these moths for years, so when I noticed this on near an outside light at work, I had to stop and admire it. Although the photograph doesn't do it justice, that yellowish patch on the wing is almost iridescent; it looks like gold leaf or, as some common names ('Slender burnished brass' or 'Scarce burnish') suggest, like polished brass. These moths (454 Kb pdf file) were discovered in New Zealand in 1984 and feed on a wide range of cultivated plants, including legumes and brassicas.

As usual, I had all the camera gear with me so was able to photograph it. Who knows when I'll get another chance?


[7 May 2014, Olympus OM-D EM-1, 60mm f/2.8 macro , ISO 200, 1/200 at f/8; diffused flash]

All content © 2014 Pete McGregor

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Relatively speaking a very recent discovery. Also very beautiful. I hope that there are more species yet to be found...

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Elephant's Child has a very nice point. Cool. This is a fascinating creature, and you caught the 'weave' of that 'almost iridescent' patch quite well. ;0

pohanginapete said...

EC, the closest relative to this in New Zealand is the silver Y moth, Chrysodeixis eriosoma, which has small patches of silver on the wings. It, too, eats a wide range of important crops.

Barbara, thank you. Getting the gold to shine in a photograph isn't easy, particularly when using a flash to light the insect, so I'm glad I tried various angles.

Lesley said...

I keep marvelling at the detail in this. It's something we never see, unless our eyesight is exceptionally sharp, when looking at moths in the flesh (as it were) - and not really even then without magnification. It does look as if it's had a rather bad haircut, though.

I love the neatness of the way it has disposed its legs, one pair forward, two pairs back.

pohanginapete said...

Lesley, I agree — it needed a better barber ;^)